Monday, December 1, 2014

My Must Sees of the Season

Every year around this time TV stations begin showing everyone’s favorite holiday specials. ABC Family begins its "Twelve Days of Christmas," and I have already watched “Frosty the Snowman” on television this past weekend. Since it is now Dec. 1 and officially acceptable to do all things Christmas, I would like to share with you my personal favorite Christmas TV specials.

5. “Christmas with the Kranks”- This Christmas favorite starring Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis has been around for a decade now. I have to admit this isn’t a movie I have been watching faithfully every Christmas since it came out in 2004. I just happened to stumble across it a few years ago. However, this movie is everything you could want in a Christmas special.  The stunt Nora and Luther Krank attempt by boycotting Christmas to go on a cruise sounds like something my parents might try and do! But, my favorite part of this film is at the end when Luther Krank gives away his cruise tickets to the old couple next door.

4. “Holiday in Handcuffs”- Next, there is “Holiday in Handcuffs.” This is an ABC Family movie from 2007 my family found on Netflix several years ago. Honestly, what’s NOT funny about this movie? It’s hilarious and Mario Lopez isn’t hard to look at either. If you haven’t seen this holiday special I highly suggest it because the antics of Melissa Hoan Hart will keep you entertained.

3. “Frosty the Snowman”- Now it’s time to throw in a classic. “Frosty the Snowman” has always been a favorite of mine. As a little kid, I always loved the part at the beginning when Frosty comes to life and the kids march him through town. There’s just something very lovable about Frosty, and I am glad I got a chance to catch this holiday favorite while I was home for Thanksgiving break.

2. “A Garfield Christmas Special”- This TV show has a special place in my heart. Some of you have probably never even seen “A Garfield’s Christmas” because it is no longer shown on any broadcast network, and I DON’T KNOW WHY BECAUSE IT’S PERFECT. I grew up watching this cartoon special, and I was extremely disappointed when it no longer appeared on television. However, I am the proud owner of “A Garfield’s Christmas” on DVD so I still get to watch it every year. If you are curious about what you are missing, I will gladly loan you the DVD if you PROMISE to give it back in mint condition because I might cry if I never get to watch “A Garfield’s Christmas” again.

1.“How the Grinch Stole Christmas”- Finally, my number one favorite Christmas special of all time is “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” starring Jim Carrey. My family has been watching this movie every year since 2000, and I am surprised we haven’t worn out the VHS (yes, we still watch it on VHS). There are so many quotable lines in this movie, and I love watching it with my siblings because between the three of us I think we could quote the entire thing.  

So there you have it: my top five favorite Christmas movies. I hope you will check them out if you haven’t seen them, and feel free to leave a comment telling me your favorite Christmas specials.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, It's been a while since I've seen Christmas with the Kranks, so thanks for reminding me about that classic! Although I do enjoy the live action Grinch movie, I prefer the cartoon version. I remember watching it every year with my family on our VHS too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen one movie on your entire list! I guess I should get to work. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,

    We have similar taste in Christmas movies. I LOVE Christmas with the Kranks, Holiday in Handcuffs and The Grinch. Those are definitely some of my favorites. I also love Home Alone. I love the movies on ABC Family, but I also love watching the extremely cheesy movies on Hallmark and Lifetime. They are so cheesy and typically feature horrible acting, but I can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete