Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Why "Holiday" is "Spectacular"



Even though it is almost Thanksgiving, I had to make this post about “ONU’s Holiday Spectacular.” If you spent any amount of time around The Freed Center this past week you probably heard someone mention “Holiday Spectacular.” “ONU’s Holiday Spectacular” is a Christmas themed musical that hits the stage every year right before Thanksgiving. Working in the box office at Freed, I can tell you there are four shows at ONU and four additional shows in Lima after break, and they all sell out every year. 

This year marks 20 years running for the “ONU Holiday” show. It’s a show not only popular among students on campus but largely popular with people in the Lima and surrounding communities. The show draws in crowds of all ages: retired couples who have been coming since the show’s inception, college couples looking for a fun date night and families with their young children. 

I look forward to “Holiday Spectacular” every year. I was genuinely anxious about seeing the show two whole weeks in advance because I love it that much. It truly has everything you could ask for in a holiday show: snowmen, toy soldiers, elves, the Nativity story, small children and everyone’s favorite, SANTA CLAUS! But what’s my favorite part…

I love the show for three reasons. First, the cast is beyond talented. I have class with many of the students from the cast so I see them on a regular basis, but I love being able to see them shine on stage outside of the classroom. It almost makes me feel like I have class with celebrities, and I would be lying if I said I didn’t envy them and their roles in “Holiday.” 

Next, I love the show because it’s beautiful. The set, the costumes and the lighting of this show make it seem as if an old holiday greeting card came to life. Everyone looks so well-dressed and warm in their coats, hats and scarves. And, I found myself tearing up when snow begins to fall softly from the sky while everyone sings with smiling faces and rosy cheeks against a starry backdrop. 

But, my all-time favorite part of “Holiday” is when the sleeping toy soldier awakes and begins singing about being a Radio City Rockette and is joined by a fleet of other toy soldiers who do an intricate tap number modeled after the one done by the real Radio City Rockettes.  I love this number because I have always dreamed of being a Radio City Rockette, and I never pass up the chance to see great tap dancing. It just makes me so happy inside. If there is any part I would kill to play in “Holiday” it’s the role of the Radio City Rockette toy soldier. 

I could go on and on about how much I love “Holiday.” I could watch it over and over again and never get bored. I don’t think I stop smiling during the entire performance. If you haven’t seen “ONU’s Holiday Spectacular” yet, YOU SHOULD. You can still get tickets for shows in December at The Civic Center in Lima. You won’t be disappointed, and you will walk again feeling warm and fuzzy inside. Great job to everyone in the cast and crew, you are all fantastically talented

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,

    I didn't have a chance to go to Holiday this year, but I went last year and it was awesome! The only thing I didn't like about the show was the little girl sitting behind me who decided to pet my hair for the whole show. I don't know what her parents were doing, but I was so uncomfortable. The show itself was great however!

    ReplyDelete