Sunday, November 2, 2014

My Measurement Misconceptions



In my social media class we recently started reading “Measure What Matters” by Katie Delahaye Paine. This book is all about why it is important to have measurement metrics in place and how measurement can improve your company. To be honest, I have been dreading reading this book all semester because metrics have always bored me. I think we can all agree reading a whole book about social media measurement tools sounds pretty dry. Also, as a PR major I cannot tell you how many times I have heard my professors remind me to make objectives specific and MEASUREABLE. I hope you can understand why very mention of measurement makes me cringe. 

I think the underlying reason for my dislike for measurement is because I have never understood the value in it. Deep down I know measurement has some kind of significant value but mostly I view it as something my professors force me to incorporate into campaigns to make me miserable. However, in Chapter 1 of Paine’s book she outlines seven reasons why measurement is important that really helped me understand the bigger practical picture behind measurement. Paine notes the seven reasons why measurement is important are because measurement:

1. Saves time and money
2. Helps allocate budget and staff
3. Helps you better understand the competition
4. Aids in strategic planning
5. Gets everyone to agree on a desired outcome
6. Reveals strengths and weaknesses in your business
7. Gives you a reason to say “no” in decision making

For the past three years I have reworked numerous campaign objectives to make them specific and measurable while never fully understanding the implications of measurement. Now the next time I sit down to write objectives for a PR campaign I will think about measurement with a different attitude and a better understanding of its importance.  

1 comment: