Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Boasting About Bluffton

As much as I love Ada (insert sarcasm), I want to talk about a neighboring town: Bluffton, Ohio. If you find yourself bored on a chilly Saturday afternoon as I did this past weekend you should consider making the 20 minute drive to Bluffton. Even though Bluffton isn’t a booming metropolis, it has a few gems you won’t find in Ada that are worth checking out. I am going to share a list of the places you should visit on your next adventure to Bluffton.

1. Shannon Theatre- Shannon Theatre is Bluffton’s locally owned and operated movie theater. Much like the Ada movie theater, there is only one screen and therefore only one movie offered at a time, but all 2D shows are $3. Let me repeat that: The price for all 2D shows is $3. I happened to see “Alexander & The Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very-Bad-Day” while I was there. Sure this wasn’t an award-winning movie, but it was definitely worth $3. It kept me laughing and you should see it at least once.

2. Shirley’s Popcorn- If you are going to hit up Shannon Theatre for a movie you should stop by Shirley’s Popcorn beforehand to get some snacks for the show. Shirley’s Popcorn has been in Bluffton for many years and specializes in making gourmet popcorn the old-fashion way. Shirley’s offers many unique flavors such as s’mores, Bluffton and even ONU flavored popcorn. The staff there is very friendly and will gladly let you taste test any flavor before purchasing it. This isn’t your average popcorn: Shirley’s popcorn is made with history, experience and out of this world flavor you won’t find anywhere else.

3. Et Cetera Shop- Along the same side of the street as Shannon Theatre and Shirley’s Popcorn you will find the Et Cetera Shop. Et Cetera is a thrift shop operated by the Mennonite Central Committee. If you are looking for a bargain or a cheap Halloween costume like I was, Et Cetera is a cool place to look around. It has everything from clothes to kitchen utensils to craft supplies. While I was there I got a belt for .75 cents and scored some used clothes for my Halloween costume. You can’t get better deals anywhere else.

4. Common Grounds- Common Grounds is Bluffton’s version of Northern on Main. It’s a coffee shop offering a wide variety of specialty coffee drinks and deli sandwiches. The atmosphere is cozy and cool with many different tables and seating options. Also, there are plenty of outlets and free Wi-Fi if you want to bring your laptop along to get some work done. The coffee is delicious, and you can’t beat the atmosphere of a local coffee shop.

5. The Food Store- Your last stop on your adventure to Bluffton should be The Food Store. While you probably won’t purchase anything here it is interesting to browse the shelves. The Food Store offers every kind of natural food, herb, dairy product, vitamin or remedy you could think of. Some of the food and supplements I saw in this store, like shark cartilage, I never even knew existed. It’s an entertaining stop to see what’s out there and if you happen to be into cooking with top notch organic products then this is the place for you.

So the next time you find yourself in need of some inexpensive fun, take a trip to Bluffton. It’s not too far and all the local businesses make for an enjoyable and quality experience.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,

    While I haven't been to all of these places, I am totally a fan of Shirley's popcorn. Their popcorn is so delicious! I thought this blog post was such a great idea, I think we as students sometimes forget what is on the other side of the corn fields. Maybe I'll have to take a drive and check out some of the other businesses in Bluffton.

    ReplyDelete