Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Enjoying Good "Company"



This past weekend I attended Ohio Northern’s musical performance of "Company." I went specifically to support a friend; however I took away much more from the show than I anticipated.

I have always been a fan of musicals. My absolute favorite musical to see live is "Footloose" because I love to dance, and I participated in my high school’s version of the show. However, I have not attended a musical performance in quite some time and seeing "Company" made me remember why I love them.

Musicals just have a way drawing me in and holding my attention. There is something about having the story told through song and dance instead of only words that energizes me and "Company" was no exception. Every one in the cast had strong and beautiful voices. I have class with the majority of the actors and even though am not friends with all of them it was very cool to see my classmates effortlessly performing on stage.

The other thing I loved about "Company" was seeing it in Freed’s Stambaugh Studio Theatre. Because this theater is smaller, you are much closer to the actors and at times you almost feel like you are part of the action. Stambaugh Theatre creates an intimate experience where you can read the actors facial expressions and feel their emotions.

I work at the box office at the Freed Center so sometimes the joy of seeing a Freed Center performance gets lost for me, and I rarely get to be a spectator instead of a box office manager. However, I decided to let myself enjoy a show instead of viewing it as a place I come to work, and I am glad I did. The cast of "Company" did an amazing job in every way. The vocals, acting, dancing, enthusiasm and professionalism were all evident in this performance. Congratulations to the cast and everyone who worked so hard on "Company". You all made reminded me why I musicals.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I'm so jealous that you saw Company! Everyone was telling me about how amazing it was and I just didn't get the chance to go. I love musicals, especially since my Mom raised me to watch more musicals than regular television. Footloose is also one of my favorites, especially since the music is so energizing!

    ReplyDelete