Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Little Things in Life

Almost everyone has heard the saying, “It’s the little things in life.” I am going to share with you some of the little things that make my life a better and more enjoyable place. You could say these are a few of my favorite things:

1. Crunchy Peanut Butter: I’m kind of a peanut butter snob: my very favorite is Kroger brand crunchy peanut butter with honey. If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life it would be crunchy peanut butter. Freshman year when I had to eat in McIntosh, and the only edible option was PB&J; I would bring my own jar of crunchy peanut butter because McIntosh only had smooth. I don’t even have to put my peanut butter on a sandwich to enjoy it; I will eat it straight out of the jar with a spoon.

2.  Pumpkin Spice Lattes: Yes, you can call me a basic white girl, but I am not ashamed because pumpkin spice lattes are delicious. I am one of those people who wait anxiously for September to come around because it means pumpkin spice lattes until January. There is something extremely comforting about sipping a pumpkin spice latte on a cool fall day.

3. The hours from 9 a.m. to noon: The hours from 9 a.m. to noon are arguably my favorite hours of the day. I find this time to be the most calming and tranquil part of the day. It’s the part of the morning where I sit and drink my coffee and leisurely scroll through social media before the madness of the day begins. These are the hours where the world is still waking up and the day still holds potential.

4. Friends: Where would I be without great friend by my side? My friends at ONU have helped shape my experience here. They know how to make me laugh, they encourage me when I’m feeling down and help me work through my problems. They are my go-to in good times and bad, and my life would be quite dull without them.

5. Cardigans: Cardigans are my favorite article of clothing. They give a wardrobe endless potential because you can mix and match them with different color shirts and scarves. Cardigans make an outfit classy without being too dressy, and they are extremely comfortable.

6. Hugs: In the movie “Frozen” when I first heard Olaf say his famous one liner: “Hi, I’m Olaf and I like warm hugs,” I felt a kinship with that adorable snowman. I love long warm hugs. Nothing makes a rough day better like a long hug from a friend.

7. Pictures: I have a bulletin board hanging up in my room with pictures of my friends, family and favorite spots on campus. There is nothing like looking at a picture to make a memory of the past come to life again. Whenever I need a study break, I stare at the pictures above my desk and let my mind wander to times gone by.

8. Scarves: The only clothing accessories to rival cardigans are scarves. I am a complete sucker for a new scarf. I own more scarves than anyone needs yet I never feel guilty owning one more.

9. My Water Cup: If you have spent any extended amount of time around me you will know I almost always have my water cup in hand. During my time at Northern I have probably gone through four different cups because I am very good at breaking or losing them. It doesn’t matter where I’m headed on campus; my water cup is probably coming with me.

These are the things that break the monotony of the daily grind for me. They are simple joys that keep me laughing, smiling and comfortable. I hope you all have your own simple joys that help you get through the day because it really is about the little things. 

2 comments:

  1. Lauren,

    This blog makes me think of the Sound of Music song. I also enjoy all of these things and they do truly make life sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I loved hearing about your favorite things! I agree with Anna, it reminded me of "The Sound of Music". I love all of the things you listed too, except for the hours between 9 a.m. and noon. That's the most difficult time for me to be productive because I don't feel like I am really awake until after noon. I'm glad you find it tranquil though!

    ReplyDelete